Pass it Around

"If I made records for my own pleasure, I would only record Charley Patton songs." - Bob Dylan

Take the (Paint) Rag Away From Your Face, Now is the Time for your Tears. Bob Dylan Medicine (Sunday) Painters!

Blonde on Blonde by Chase Livingston Collection Jim Linderman

John Genry
Patrick Ginter

Grace Slick (yes...Grace Slick)
Udi Peled
Jana Bouk
Burkhardt

Unidentified (Detail) "Sweatypocari"

Lance Laurie
Jeffery Carnal
Joy Baer
Karen Clark

Allison Bruns

John Froelich

Natasha Laurence

Barry Boobis

Beverly Burris

Kata Billups

Paul Van Scott
Rosemary Moore

Ocean Clark
Highway 61 by Chase Livingston Collection Jim Linderman

Believe me, as I personally did the banner drawing here, I'll never "paint my masterpiece" either, but ever since Milton Glaser did his trippy poster, Mr. Dylan has inspired not only countless singers, he's touched the limners too.  I could not even paint the side of a barn.

Presented here, with no apologies to the artists (as I just cribbed them all from the web) is my tribute to the Sunday painters from Medicine Sunday.  Let's face it, Bob himself isn't going to win any awards for painting either, despite being represented by former poster salesman Larry "Go Go" Gagosian. 

I picked a few dozen…Lord knows there are thousands upon thousands more. 

My personal favorites, and I am not kidding one bit, are by Chase Livingston and I'm sorry, folks…I already own them.  I bought them TODAY.  I love them so much I selected one to start the show here, and another, above, to end it.  Chase Livingston?  I love your work.


Two Chase Livingston Original Paintings of Bob Dylan (Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61) Collection Jim Linderman

For those of you not official Dylanologists, the title paraphrases a line in "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" by Bob Dylan and "Medicine Sunday" is a song cut by Dylan and The Hawks in October 1965 which rocks…but does not appear on his official website.  It is also titled Midnight Train and is an early version of Temporary Like Achilles.  It has, of course, been bootlegged, but I don't eff around with those sites, i'm afraid they'll steal my credit card or something.  The phrase "Sunday painter" means an amateur.  It's a JOKE, artists.


FIND CHASE LIVINGSTON HERE

Other artists shown (cribbed from the Web) LINKED BELOW:

John Genry
Jason Gluskin
Patrick Ginter
Grace Slick
Udi Peled
Burkhardt
Sweaty Pucari
Lance Laurie
Jeffery Carnal
Joy Baer
Karen Clark
Alison Bruns
John Froelich
Natasha Laurence
Barry Boobis
Beverly Burris
Kata Billips
Paul Van Scott
Rosemary Moore
Ocean Clark

Jana Bouk